Some of the world’s best tennis players played at the River Tennis Club during the golden days of tennis. The clubs old world charm and interesting architecture reinforce the essence of a relaxed leisure spirit.
Valerie E. Scott, 1935 Junior Tennis Champion of Great Britain, in 1939 Ranked 7th best Woman Player in the World, founded the Winter Tennis Club in 1951, along with Polly Uihlein Trainer and Marianne “Biddy” Markham. In 1952 the five acres surrounding the indoor court, outdoor courts and swimming pool was purchased from the Armin Schlesinger Estate. The River Tennis Club was formed when Valerie Scott sold the club to the membership and retired from actively running the club. The architect was Fitzhugh Scott.